On November 8, 1923, by proclamation of President V. L. Roy and Coach H. Lee Prather, all athletic teams became known as the Demons. The name was decided upon by a contest open to all students with a grand prize of $10.00.
In March of 1962, the Lumberjacks of Stephen F. Austin College of Nacogdoches, Texas presented Northwestern State University with a black gum tree trunk from the SFA campus from which a statue was to be carved.
A fiberglass medallion with a relief of a demon’s face is surrounded by a hexagonal concrete rim. The demon is bald and has horns jutting out above his pointy ears. He has a goatee, two, sharp protruding lower teeth, and a deeply wrinkled face