The university has honored outstanding former students since 1990 with induction into its Hall of Distinction, or Long Purple Line.
Northwestern State has a long-standing tradition of preparing quality educators and leaders.
Normal Hill, the oldest part of the Northwestern campus, is the longest continuously occupied site in Louisiana for higher education.
Recalling special events and traditions of life in Natchitoches and Northwestern, Memories from the Hill presents the recollections of alumni and friends about our collective past.
Northwestern State was established in 1884 in the old Bullard Mansion atop a hill overlooking the bustling river port city of Natchitoches.
The National Register Application and accompanying photographs are accessible here. Additional photographs of the buildings when constructed are added.
In the over 130 years of Northwestern, the presidents have lived in three residences on the campus.
Nineteen Presidents have served Northwestern since its founding in 1884.